Unsatisfactory Solutions to the Support Problem

Leaving the proceeds from a life insurance policy, trust property, or inheritance for your special needs child is essentially a gift to the State. With this in mind, you may decide to name a relative as a beneficiary instead with the understanding that the relative is to use the money to supplement your child's special needs. This has problems too. Your relative may later decide not to honor your understanding. Or, your relative might lose the money in a wild poker game.

Making your relative the trustee of an ordinary income trust that is to supplement your child's special needs will not work either. Because your child is entitled to the trust income, SSI and Medicaid will consider the income when determining your child's eligibility. Any income in excess of $20 per month will reduce your child's SSI and Medicaid benefits.

Contact Me

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. My phone number, mailing and email address are as provided:

Attorney Andrew P. Mongin

P.O. Box 11712

Green Bay, WI 54307-1712

(920) 288-2080


This website does not provide legal advice. The information within this website is promotional and might not apply to your particular situation. No warranties or representations are made as to the accuracy of the information on this website. Please seek the advice of an attorney should you have any questions.